Monday, September 8, 2014

What is Clean Eating

As you know, or at least I've stated before, you may be new and not actually know… whatever! A few years ago I read Dr. Terry L. Wahls' book Minding My Mitochondria after I had dealt with tingling in my face and hands that just didn't seem to go away. That was the first time I had ever thought about the correlation between MS and what we eat. Now I have always loved to eat healthy, but Dr. Wahls book helped me understand more why I wanted to eat healthy.

At the time this line of thinking was revolutionary. But I am now starting to see more and more doctors embrace the notion that perhaps if we started with a healthy lifestyle, perhaps we won't need to prescribe so many pills?

Really, that's what eating clean is all about. It's a lifestyle. It's knowing exactly what you are fueling your body with. Trying to consume our food in it's most natural state. Am I the next Fully Raw Kristina? Well, maybe, but most likely not. She is awesome though, and I love her blog, instagram feed, and Facebook pages.

So what have you got to do to eat clean?



Eat regularly
Like six times a day, or every 2 hours. Three meals and three snacks. Making sure you've got it all in there: lean protein, lots of fruits and vegetables and a complex carbohydrate each meal (not high processed white flour, sugary breads or pastas). When you go too long without food, your body panics and goes into hibernation mode. Essentially shutting off your metabolism and making you store more food as fat. What we want is to burn food and use it as fuel.



Drink Water, and lots of it!
The guide that I've used in the past is 1/2 oz per pound of body weight. So if you weigh 175 pounds, you would want to drink 87.5 ounces of water. Or about 10 cups a day. Now, I've recently been told to do more. So you pick your guide, but that's about what I do. My Go-To cup is actually about 24 ounces and I drink from it all day long, so I'm probably getting more. And please be sure to use a cup and not those plastic bottles that are filling up the land fills. Thanks. ;-)

Read your Labels!
Actually, if it's clean, it's only going to have one or two ingredients. You are looking for nature made foods, not man made foods.

Think Low Fat, Low Sugar, humanely raised, locally grown, and organic when ever you can. And if you need help learning portion control, I got you covered right here!

Now if you want a free ebook and a free accountability group to keep you on track, my team has got a 5 Day Clean Eating group starting tomorrow, so give me a holler in the comments!

Also, Dr. Wahls has another book out now that is making National news. You can get The Wahls Protocol Here.

Have a great day and eat well!

No comments:

Post a Comment